While you may be aware of pollutants floating around outside, people with allergies may be more vulnerable indoors. That’s why you need the best air purifier for allergies to reduce allergens that could trigger your allergies.
You may think that your home is safe from allergens and pollution. But even though you can’t tell with your naked eye, indoor air becomes more polluted over time than outdoor air because it’s in an enclosed space. Millions of people around the world suffer from nasal and respiratory allergies. Some people have allergies from dust, cold, pollen, or pet fur. Symptoms can be caused by the air you’re breathing.
This means that if you have allergies, some indoor pollutants may cause you headaches, sore throat and nose, dizziness, or even fatigue. If you continue to breathe in polluted indoor air, it could lead to serious respiratory diseases. Even the pet you love dearly can cause some respiratory problems.
What Is An Allergy?
Allergies occur when your immune system overreacts to harmless substances. If you have an allergy and you come into contact with an allergen, it will cause an allergic reaction. This doesn’t always happen immediately. With time, your immune system builds up a sensitivity to the substance before overreacting and creating antibodies.
Common Allergic Symptoms
When you get an allergic reaction, depending on the type of allergen, it can cause inflammation and irritation. You might confuse some of the signs and symptoms for other conditions. For example, you might have a hay fever allergy, which will cause the same irritations as a common cold. If you’re allergic to pollen and dust, some of the symptoms you will experience include:
- Running nose
- Itchy eyes and nose
- Swollen and watery eyes
- Blocked nose
How To Find The Best Air Purifier For Allergies
This is the first step you should take to reduce your allergy and asthma reactions. If you have pets, keep them outside or away from your bedroom, off your bed and furniture. Keep your windows closed at home or when traveling in your car. Avoid spending a lot of time outdoors when your allergies are acting up. You can also use air conditioning during the warm months to remove allergens and pollen. Remember to clean the air filters regularly to ensure the filters aren’t clogged with dirt.
Get an air filter
Ventilation is very important when it comes to controlling your allergies caused by pollution. Using an air filter can also help in reducing indoor allergens in your home. Different types of air filters can help you.
These trap particles like pet dander, dust mites, pollen, other allergens, and even irritants like tobacco smoke. The most highly effective mechanical filter is the HEPA filter. A true HEPA filter has to be able to capture at least 90% of all the large and microparticles in the air. A true HEPA filter doesn’t recirculate pollutants back into the air once it traps them. Some HEPA type filters in the market don’t meet true HEPA filtration standards, which means you need to be careful when looking for an air purifier with a true HEPA filter. It’s recommended that you replace the filter after 6-8 months so that it can be effective.
These use electrical charges to attract and trap allergens and other pollutants. Some air purifiers use collecting plates to capture the particles.
These produce toxic gases that are said to be very effective in removing bacteria, viruses, mold, and other organic pollutants in the air. But these dangerous chemicals can be harmful to your health. Although some air purifiers use ozone to clean the air, prolonged exposure can cause serious health problems. However, if you still want to use an air purifier with ozone, get one that produces very little intentionally or as a byproduct.
This is an important filter in all air purifiers that have a HEPA filter. It helps to capture all the large particles like pet dander and dust and also help to prolong the life of the main HEPA filter. Most pre-filters can be washed and recycled so they can last a long time.
Activated carbon filter
If your home has lingering smells and odors from your cooking, pets, smoke, or chemicals, look for the best air purifier for allergies with an activated carbon filter that will absorb the gases, smoke, and odors in your home.
Instead of using a fan to suck up the polluted air into the filter, an ionizer uses electricity to produce negatively charges ions that bind with the positively charged airborne particles that become heavy and are captured by the filters or a collection plate. While a HEPA filter can capture all large and small particles, an ionizer significantly reduces the size of the allergens. However, if you have allergies and asthma, it’s advisable to look for an air purifier that doesn’t have an ionizer or one that you can switch on and off. It can trigger your allergies.
Ultraviolet light helps to sterilize and destroy the bacteria, viruses, and germs that are airborne. This C type of UV light isn’t harmful to humans, so if you get the best air purifier for allergies with this feature you should not get worried.
Review: Comparison Table For The Best Air Purifier For Allergies
Check on Amazon
3-stage filtration, ozone-free, energy saver, smart sensor
3-stage filtration, on/off UVC light, 3-speed control, desktop sized
6-stage filtration, customized filters, WiFi enabled, BioGS HEPA filter, negative ion generator
3-stage filtration, change filter reminder, 3 fan speeds, ozone free
2-stage filtration, real-time reports, and data, WiFi enabled, 10 fan speed settings, oscillation
LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home Large Room with True HEPA Filter, Air Cleaner for Allergies and Pets, Smokers, Mold, Pollen, Dust, Quiet Odor Eliminators for Bedroom, Energy Star, Smart Sensor, LV-PUR131
$172.57 in stock
- 100% OZONE FREE: Unlike some other brands, Levoit air purifiers are always 100% ozone-free, never using the UV-C light and anion purification methods that cause harm to children and people with asthma
- HIGHER EFFICIENCY FOR LARGE ROOM: With Honeycomb activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, Pre-filter, the purify efficiency is 30% higher and purify speed is 30% faster than other ordinary air cleaner, air change 4. 5 times per hour for 360 sq. ft. room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- SMART FILTER LIFE: With smart scientific algorithm, our air purifier can calculate the real filter life according to the filter's situation, not just simply define the filter's life with a few months, thus help to save money
- AUTO MODE: With a cutting edge smart sensor, the air purifier can automatically adjust between 3 fan speed settings in response to real-time air quality readings
- QUIET AS RUSTLING LEAVES: Filter the air with a noise level of 27 dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply
Levoit LV-PUR131 is the best air purifier for allergies to tackle problems caused by mold, pet dander, dust, pollen, and other allergens. It comes with a true HEPA filter to make sure that it captures all the small particles in your room. The pre-filter helps to collect all the large particles, hair, and dirt. The activated carbon filter then tackles smells, odors, and smoke to ensure that the air in your room is clean and fresh. This air purifier comes with an automatic air quality monitor that keeps tabs on the quality of air in your home or office. It can automatically adjust the speed of the fan in case there are contaminants present.
It’s an ozone-free unit and doesn’t use the UVC light or anion purification, which means it’s safe to use around children and people with asthma. This unit can keep your air smelling fresh and help keep your allergies under control. It does a good job of filtering your air without making too much noise, promoting a restful and soothing indoor environment and help you sleep soundly. The LED display light can be turned off at night so that it doesn’t keep you awake. It’s very efficient in cleaning the air in large rooms while still conserving energy.
- It significantly reduces the dust in your room
- The unit is quiet even when set on high fan speed
- Easy to move around
- Good for people with allergies and asthma
- Some users complained of receiving a faulty unit
An impressive air purifier that uses a HEPA filter to make sure the air in your home or office stay clean and fresh. It carefully monitors any changes in the quality of air in your room to ensure that you don’t breathe in any allergens.
Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier for Home, Office, Bedrooms, Desk, Filters Allergies, Pollen, Smoke, Dust, Pet Dander, UV-C Sanitizer Eliminates Germs, Mold, Odors, Quiet 3-in-1 AC4100
- 3-IN-1 DESKTOP AIR PURIFIER - True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97% of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as .3 microns from the air
- COMPACT DESIGN - 11-inch tabletop purifier is perfect for smaller rooms or offices and fits great in small spaces
- KILLS GERMS - UV-C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- TRAPS ALLERGENS - Pre-filter traps dust, pet hair, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter
- REDUCES ODORS - Activated charcoal filter helps to reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
Germ Guardian AC4100 is the best air purifier you can buy if you’re on a budget. This compact unit is a tabletop HEPA filter purifier which is suitable for your small bedroom or on your desk, but it will not be effective in cleaning the air in a large room. This air purifier uses a true HEPA filter that captures the large particles, dust, and allergens, while the UVC light destroys all airborne germs and bacteria. The activated carbon filter ensures that there are no smells, odors, or bad fumes or gases in the air.
It comes with 3 fan speed controls which include a low speed that runs quietly during the night. If you don’t want to use the UVC light, you can turn it on or off. The filter replacement reminder makes sure you remember to change the filters at the right time. This is generally after around 6-8 months, depending on the use of the filter, to improve efficiency.
- Effective at removing allergens in the air
- Provides you with fresh, clean air
- You can turn off the UVC light
- It produces a gentle humming sound
- Produces a plastic smell
A table-top air purifier that uses a true HEPA filter to remove allergens and other pollutants from the air in your small home or office. It’s easy to move around and ensures the air you’re breathing is clean.
Rabbit Air MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier - Stylish, Efficient and Energy Star (SPA-700A, White, Odor Remover)
- Advanced HEPA filtration with six stages of purification and deodorization
- 5 Year Warranty
- Odor Remover customized filter: Traps and reduces odors from pets, cigarettes and cigars, cooking and mildew.
- The MinusA2 is designed to either stand alone or to be mounted on the wall.
- Room coverage up to 700 sq. ft.
Rabbit Air minusA2 is an impressive air purifier with a higher capacity. This makes it ideal for cleaning large rooms or for people who suffer from allergies and require a higher air refresher rate. This unit has a unique design with slim dimensions that makes it possible to mount it on your wall at home to save space. It has a 6-stage filtration process which includes
- medium filter that traps large particles
- BioGS HEPA filter with advanced technology helps to reduce the build-up of common allergens that include dust mites, pollen, and pet dander that is trapped in the filter and also reduces the growth of bacteria and viruses on the filter. This advanced filter helps to increase efficiency.
- Next, you can choose from the 4 customized filters depending on your specific allergy triggers. If you’re allergic to smoke, pollen, or pets, you can use that specific filter.
- The activated carbon filter in this filtration process removes all odors and smells.
- Negative ion generator keeps the circulated air fresh.
You can use customized filters to tackle different types of allergens. Its advanced fan operates quietly so you won’t notice any sound. It has a smart sensor that accurately detects any changes in the air quality indoors and automatically adjust the fan speed to purify the air. The WIFI smart app is also very useful in helping you to control the air purifier functions.
- Very sturdy and well-built
- It operates quietly
- The customized filters are a huge advantage
- The wifi app helps control the unit
- The blue LED light can’t be turned off
A very advanced air purifier that has WIFI smart app which makes work easier in terms of operating the air purifier. The unique filtration process and the smart features make this air purifier suitable for people suffering from allergies.
LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home Smokers Allergies and Pets Hair, True HEPA & High Efficiency Carbon Filter, Filtration System Cleaner, Eliminates Smoke Odor Dust Mold, Quiet in Bedroom Office, LV-H132
15 used from $ 61.94
- Designed in California. The UVC Light and Anion that other Brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children and Asthma sufferers. Levoit air purifiers never use these for 100% Ozone free
- Advanced 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, mold, odor and large dust particles, in addition to removing 99.97% of airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns. The 3-in-1 filtration system effectively improves indoor air quality so you can enjoy fresh air at home
- Ultra-Silent Operation: Filters the air with the lowest noise level as quiet as 25dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply
- High-Efficiency Air Purifier: Circulates room air over 4 times per hour to achieve rapid purification. Unique size and contemporary design make the Levoit air purifier suitable for small or medium-sized rooms, like offices and dorms
- Night Light: Choose between two brightness settings at night to help you see in the evening or turn the light off entirely to create your ideal sleep environment for an undisturbed slumber
The compact size of this Levoit LV-H132 makes it perfect for your small bedroom or home office. It’s a quiet unit that has a soft two-setting night light that creates a soothing environment. This unit is ozone free and doesn’t use UVC light or an ionizer in the filtration process. It uses a 3-stage filtration process which includes a pre-filter, a true HEPA filter, and a very efficient activated carbon filter to capture allergens, mold, pet hairs, odors, and large particles, while at the same time removing all airborne contaminants, even the tiniest particles.
This highly efficient unit can purify the air in your room 4 times in an hour. It will filter the air quietly without disturbing the peace in your home or office. You can turn off the night light in the evening so that it doesn’t disturb your sleep. It comes with a built-in replacement indicator that alerts you when you need to change the filters, usually after 6-8 months. This depends on the usage and air quality in your home.
- Cleans up your air to help you breathe easier
- Very good at removing odors and smells
- Suitable for pet owners and people with allergies
- The blue light can be turned off at night
- The sound can be a bit loud for some users
If you love fresh air whether you’re in your home or office, the Levoit LV-H132 is the best air purifier for you. Its filtration system will help remove allergens and dust in the air that could trigger your allergies.
Dyson Pure Cool Link air purifier is a smart unit that will give you real-time air quality reports and data tracking. You can use your smartphone to remotely control it. Control it using a Dyson Link app and also with Amazon Alexa. It has dual functionality as both an air purifier and a fan during the hot summer months.
It uses a HEPA filter and an activated carbon filter to capture large particles and allergens and remove all odors, smells, and smoke from your home. It’s very easy to clean. with no spinning blades that can cut your fingers. It has a night time mode and a sleep timer that makes it easier for you to control the unit. In case the air purifier tips over, it will automatically shut off.
- It’s very light and easy to move around
- Very quiet
- Great for people with respiratory issues and allergies
- Helps to improve the quality of air in your home or office
- Great fan with 10 speed levels
- The replacement filters are a bit pricey
- Expensive unit
A unique-looking air purifier that you can control remotely through your smartphone and get real-time updates on the quality of air indoors. It’s easy to move around and clean and you can use it as an air purifier and a fan to cool you down when it’s hot.
There are many things to consider and features to look for when choosing the best air purifier for allergies. By choosing the right kind of filters and a high-quality device, you can gain better control of your allergies and have a better life. Levoit LV-PUR131 air purifier is a great air purifier that will take care of your allergy needs and ensure the air you’re breathing is clean and fresh.