Welcome to our article on the Levoit LV-PUR131 vs Winix 5500-2.
Air purifiers are great – where else would you get machines that do the extra work of air purification for you, beyond the basics like sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping your indoor spaces? They take on a wide variety of pollutants that these methods can’t, and leave your indoor air fresh and cleaner for longer.
Among the many purifiers, there are certain brands that always manage to stick out. You can’t choose just any purifier, just because it sounds good and has appealing functions; it needs to fit the requirements of your home and lifestyle, or else it will be a waste of time or become too inefficient for your indoor space.
In this article, we will compare two of these brands using specific models in their line, the Winix 5500-2 and the Levoit LV-PUR131, and see which one is better for your space and why. Let’s jump right in to Levoit LV-PUR131 vs Winix 5500-2!
Levoit LV-PUR131 Vs Winix 5500-2: Levoit LV-PUR131 Review
LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home Large Room with True HEPA Filter, Air Cleaner for Allergies and Pets, Smokers, Mold, Pollen, Dust, Quiet Odor Eliminators for Bedroom, Energy Star, Smart Sensor, LV-PUR131
- 100% OZONE FREE: Unlike some other brands, Levoit air purifiers are always 100% ozone-free, never using the UV-C light and anion purification methods that cause harm to children and people with asthma
- HIGHER EFFICIENCY FOR LARGE ROOM: With Honeycomb activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, Pre-filter, the purify efficiency is 30% higher and purify speed is 30% faster than other ordinary air cleaner, air change 4. 5 times per hour for 360 sq. ft. room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- SMART FILTER LIFE: With smart scientific algorithm, our air purifier can calculate the real filter life according to the filter's situation, not just simply define the filter's life with a few months, thus help to save money
- AUTO MODE: With a cutting edge smart sensor, the air purifier can automatically adjust between 3 fan speed settings in response to real-time air quality readings
- QUIET AS RUSTLING LEAVES: Filter the air with a noise level of 27 dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply
Compared to the other brands of air purifiers, this brand is not as well-known. You might be reading this and wondering about this brand or when it started, but you do not need to be suspicious – they are a great brand with very good quality purifiers. All their products stand out thanks to their efficient, well-designed products, coming in at affordable prices.
The major aim of this company is to make air purifiers that do not produce ozone as a by-product, unlike ionizers and UV-purifiers. This makes it a good product for you if you have kids in your home, or live with pets. Multiple studies show ozone to be unhealthy and even fatal to pets.
It is most suited to small and medium size rooms, as it cannot clean spaces that are larger than 322 square feet. This is actually limiting if you are thinking of buying it, because it really limits you on where you can use it.
It uses three filtration stages, which are:
- Fine preliminary filter – this is the first stage, and tackles all the larger particles and pollutants in the air. These include fungi, mold spores, and fine dust.
- True HEPA – this is the second stage. HEPA stands for ‘High-Efficiency Particulate Air’ filter, and it is meant to remove any particles that remain in the air – even microscopic ones that are as small as 0.3 microns. Through this phase, it cleans out up to 99.97% of the particles, leaving the rest of the air to pass to the final phase.
- Activated carbon – this is the filter that will get rid of any nasty smells and bad odors which are due to these pollutants, as well as other sources.
Thanks to these three filtration stages, this product does a very good job at cleaning up your air, as well as using other features to improve the experience. For instance, the Smart Auto Mode will inform you about the quality of your air every time you need the information, and allow you to adjust the settings to increase the air quality.
- Gives you outstanding value for money
- Very affordable, especially if you are on a tight budget
- You can program the timer for between one to twelve hours
- The filtration system works very well
- Supports small and medium-size rooms
- Has a good air quality indicator and auto mode
- It is difficult to control the air purifier at night, since the buttons are touch-based
- Does not have a high smoke, pollen, and dust CADR
- Has a short warranty period of 2 years (in contrast to other purifiers that have 5-year warranty)
View price on Amazon
Levoit LV-PUR131 Vs Winix 5500-2: Winix 500-2 Review
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter
$152.99 in stock
2 used from $ 136.13
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
This has a similar set up to the Levoit LV-PUR131, and it also has three filtration stages. These are:
- AOC (Advanced Odor Control) – this is another way of saying a carbon filter. It will take the odors that originate from the pollutants and other sources and eliminate them from the air. However, it is the first step in the process, unlike the Levoit, which has it as the last step.
- True HEPA filter – removes the majority of the smaller particles, such as dust, dander, and pollen.
- PlasmaWave technology – this is the third phase, and is a unique approach that the company has developed over the years. It works in a similar way to PECO technology, as it breaks down all the pollutants and destroys them on the molecular level, all without releasing ozone as a by-product.
The purifier can cover up to 360 square feet, so this is an improvement from the previous model in the review. This also allows it to work well in living rooms and your kitchen, in addition to break rooms and offices.
It also comes with a smart sensor, which will tell you the quality of your air, through the use of an LED light indicator. The fan speed can also increase or reduce depending on the quality of your air as the purifier continues to operate.
An additional feature of the Smart Sensors is their ability to know the light that is present in the space where the purifier is. They will then use the information to adjust the indicator lights, the speed of the fan, as well as reducing noise levels.
- Very good technology improvements
- Good performance overall
- Well-built and good value for money
- Chances are that it can further irritate asthma sufferers
- Can have malfunctions in its operation due to the presence of electromagnetic waves from other electronics
- Bad smell after a certain period of use
View price on Amazon
Levoit LV-PUR131 Vs Winix 5500-2: Final Thoughts
Regardless of what you are going for in an air purifier, these two products are still recommended and will offer you quality service for your money. The Levoit LV-PUR131 is great if you are searching for something affordable and simple yet highly efficient, while the Winix 5500-2 is great for extra efficiency. Overall, our winner for this review is the LV-PUR131, especially if you have a smaller room.