We spend 8 hours or more every day in the bedroom. So it only makes sense that you should keep the air fresh and clean in that room. How can you find the best air purifier for bedrooms that is small, quiet, and allergy or asthma-friendly?
It’s not easy finding the best air purifier for bedrooms since they come in different sizes and models. If you sleep in a room with poor air quality you will not have quality sleep. This is a problem especially if you suffer from allergies. It gets harder to sleep if you have a stuffy nose or congestion. You could also have trouble sleeping if you live in a town or city with lots of pollutants in the air. This could also lead to sleeping disorders like sleep apnea.
That’s why you need an air purifier that keeps your air clean and fresh by removing all the harmful air pollutants like dust, pollen, pet allergens, odors, smoke, and fumes. These devices are an important part of your bedroom.
Here are some of the definitions and terminologies you will come across on your quest to find the best air purifier for bedrooms.
This is an important feature in air purifiers that use HEPA filters. A pre-filter helps to trap the large particles, pet dander, and hair. Overall, they help to improve the efficiency and life of the main filter. Most of pre-filters can be washed and reused for a long time.
True HEPA filter
This is a high-quality air filter that you will usually find in the best air purifiers. This filter comes with strict regulation guidelines set by the Department of Energy in the U.S. It captures all the particles even the microspores in the air. A true HEPA filter should be replaced every 6 months to a year. You can get the replacement either from the manufacturer or online stores.
Activated charcoal or carbon filter
This filter absorbs and neutralizes all the small particles, smoke, odors, gases, VOCs, chemical, cooking odor, pet odors, and fumes that pass through the HEPA filter.
This filter emits negative ions in the air. Since particles like dust, allergens, and bacteria have a positive charge, the negative ions bond with them. This causes the contaminants to become too heavy to stay in the air. These fallen particles are then collected by the electrostatic collection plates that can be washed and reused.
Ultraviolet light in UVC is a powerful form of radiation that kills all microorganisms in the air, but is harmless to humans.
A highly reactive molecule that is known to kill bacteria, viruses, and remove odors. However, it uses chemicals to kill organic materials, which can be very harmful to your health. If exposed to certain levels of ozone it can cause throat irritation, chest pains, coughing, shortness of breath, and problems with your lungs.
BioGS HEPA filter
This is an advanced version of the true HEPA filter.It’s designed specifically to reduce the build-up of particles on the main true HEPA filter and help to prolong its life. If well maintained, this filter can last for about 18 months to 3 years.
How To Choose The Best Air Purifier For Bedrooms
Here are some important factors to keep in mind.
The size of your bedroom is a very important factor. The Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) isn’t the best way of determining how much air an air purifier can clean in a room. It just gives you a rough guide on the amount of airflow from the device. If you have a large bedroom, using a small air purifier with a low CADR will not purify the air quickly enough to affect its quality.
Many pollutants can be found in your bedroom. These include dust mites and their feces, mold spores, pet dander, tobacco smoke particles, or pollen that you’re likely to inhale when you’re asleep. There may also be gaseous pollutants like volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from household chemicals, mattresses, cigarette smoke, or carpets. However, if you have allergies, for example, from one type of pollutant, then you can get an air purifier that will take care of that type of pollutant.
Noise from the air purifier
Some people would like a quiet air purifier. Others like to sleep with white noise coming from the air purifier’s fan when it’s turned on. In this case, you can use the CADR as a rough guide. Air purifiers with a high CADR are larger with powerful and louder fans. Check online user comments to help you understand how loud a particular air purifier is. The noise that air purifiers make when using the fans means they’re more effective in cleaning more air in your bedroom. It’s not advisable to get air purifiers that operate silently because they generate ozone that is harmful to your health.
Reviews: Comparison Table For The Best Air Purifier For Bedrooms
Check on Amazon
Large and medium-sized spaces
Small to medium rooms
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty air purifier
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier with True HEPA and Eco Mode in White
$165.65 in stock
6 used from $ 152.40
- Coway Mighty (AP-1512HH) is designed to accommodate room sizes up to 361 sq.ft (CADR: Dust 246 / Pollen 240 / Smoke 233 cb. ft.).
- 4 Stage Filtration System (Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, Vital Ion) captures and reduces up to 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns in the air, including pollen, pollutants and other allergens. It also reduces volatile organic compounds and reduces odor.
- Coway Mighty pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality in real-time. The brightly colored LED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day. And it features a timer, and filter lifetime indicator.
- Fan speeds available in 1, 2, 3 stages by manually setting up. While auto mode automatically optimizes the speed setting 1 through 3 based on the level of indoor air quality. When no pollution is detected for 30 minutes, the fan will automatically stop and set as Eco mode to save energy.
- Timer feature allows the machine to run 1/4/8 hours before automatically powering off.
Coway Mighty AP-1512HH is an air purifier with a sleek tower design that you can place in your living room, office, or bedroom with a space of 360 square feet. This is a perfect energy-saving machine that shuts down its fans when it doesn’t detect any pollutants in the air. The best part is this function lowers the noise level of this air purifier which makes it ideal for your bedroom. It uses a 4-stage air filtration system. Air through a washable pre-filter that traps the large particles from human or pet hair, mold, fur, and pet dander.
The activated carbon filter traps and neutralizes the odors and harmful gases to keep the air in the room smelling clean and fresh. The true HEPA filter then takes care of the fine dust, small particles, mold, and cigarette fumes that have passed through. Finally, the ionizer captures and neutralizes the gases, harmful chemical fumes, and odors by generating an electrochemical reaction that reduces the particles in the air. The timer will help you schedule which hours you need the device to operate. It also has a filter change indicator.
- The replacement filters are very cheap
- Very effective in cleaning the air in your room
- It operates quietly
- It covers a large area
- The LED light can be annoying
- It’s a huge device
A very effective yet quiet air purifier you can place in your bedroom without worrying about noise. It has a very thorough process of cleaning the air, leaving your room smelling clean and fresh.
View price on Amazon
LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home with HEPA Filter, Compact Air Cleaner Purifiers for Allergies and Pets, Smokers,Pollen,Mold,Dust,Quiet Odor Eliminator for Bedroom,Small Room, LV-H126,2-Year Warranty
$47.99 in stock
6 used from $ 44.15
- Designed in California: 100% ozone free! Does not use UV or ions which produce trace amounts of measurable ozone, a harmful air pollutant.
- 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, HEPA Filter & Activated Carbon Filter work together to remove 99. 9% of dust, pollen, smoke, odors, allergies, mold spores, and pet dander. Filters particles as small as 0. 3 microns.
- 3 Fan Speeds: Easily turn a dial on the front panel to adjust to your preference. Choose from Low, Medium, and High fan speeds. The effective range covers up to 161 ft² / 15 m².
- Sleep Soundlessly with Zero Light Pollution: Sleep and rest uninterrupted. The purifier runs at 32dB at its lowest noise level, and doesn't have any display lights to disturb the dark.
- Compact Size, Modern Style: A perfect fit in any home, whether in the bedroom, kitchen, or other medium-sized rooms. It's easy to tuck into a tight spot, yet also easily portable if you want to take fresh air with you wherever you go.
Levoit LV-H126 is a small and quiet air purifier that is ideal for your bedroom. It has a compact, modern style that you can place anywhere around your home and is easily portable if you want to travel with it. It uses a 3-stage air purification process. The activated carbon filter is attached to its pre-filter, which allows it to capture all the large particles and neutralize various household odors including pet odors, cigarette smoke, and cooking smells.
The true HEPA filter then reduces all the particles in the air by 99.9%. This means even the tiniest particles like pet dander, bacteria, viruses, mold spores, dust, dust mites, and other allergens. The size of the air purifier makes it suitable to place on your nightstand. Since it operates quietly, it can purify your air throughout the night and not disturb your peaceful sleep. It’s ozone free which means it doesn’t use ions or UV during the purification process. This air purifier has 3 fan speeds you can adjust to your liking. Replacement filters are very affordable.
- Effective in removing odors and pollutants in your room
- The white noise isn’t overwhelming
- Very light-weight
- A very affordable machine
- Has no smart features
A simple and stylish-looking air purifier that is portable, suitable for small rooms, bedroom, and home office. This HEPA air purifier will clean your air and leave you with clean and fresh air. It operates quietly so it doesn’t disturb your sleep at night.
View price on Amazon
Philips AC1213/41 series 1000 air purifier
Philips Air Purifier 1000, True HEPA, Reduces Allergens, Pollen, Dust Mites, Mold, Pet Dander, Gases and Odors, for Medium Rooms AC1213/40, Non-Connected for Bedrooms
- True Hepa Air Purifier reduces allergens, pollen, pet dander, house dust mites, gases, and odors and captures up to 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns from the air that passes through the filter
- Professional-grade air quality sensor detects even the slightest change in indoor air quality and auto-adjusts the fan speed to maintain clean air
- Active Carbon filter with real carbon particles absorbs odors, gases, and VOCs that pass through it
- 3 automatic purification settings: a General mode, an extra-sensitive Allergen mode, and a NightSense mode that automatically turns down the lights and fan speed when the room is dark
- Whisper quiet, making it ideal for small to medium size rooms such as your bedroom
Philips AC1213/41 series 1000 is a true HEPA filter air purifier. It has a quiet night sense auto-mode which makes it ideal for your bedroom. It’s made with AeraSense technology and is very sensitive in detecting even the slightest change in the indoor air quality, and will automatically adjust the fan speed to remove pollutants. The numeric display and the color ring found on the device’s dashboard shows you the data of the indoor air quality in real-time with an index of 1 being good and 12 polluted.
The color ring indicates blue when the allergen and particle levels are good and red when they’re bad. The 3-stage filtration process ensures the indoor air is free of allergens, odors, gases, pet dander, fumes, smoke, and other pollutants. Night sense mode will automatically turn down the fan speed and light when the room is dark. You can set which auto-mode you prefer to optimize your air purification.
- You can easily clean the pre-filter
- Neutralizes all the odors and smells in the air
- It operates quietly
- The sensors are very sensitive to changes in the indoor air quality
- Expensive replacement filters
- Doesn’t absorb carbon monoxide gases
A HEPA filter air purifier with a night sense mode, AeraSense technology, and an extra sensitive allergen mode that works together to ensure that the quality of air in your bedroom is free of pollutants. It operates quietly which makes it perfect for your bedroom.
View price on Amazon
AeraMax 100 Air Purifier for Mold, Odors, Dust, Smoke, Allergens and Germs with True HEPA Filter and 4-Stage Purification - 9320301
1 used from $ 78.03
- Air purifier features True HEPA filter with AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment and carbon filter for four-stage filtration process that captures 99.97% of airborne particles
- An odor eliminator that also captures mold, dust, germs and smoke-ideal for allergy and asthma sufferers
- Automatic air purifier performance with AeraSmart Sensor that monitors the air quality and automatically adjusts the fan speed to keep your air purified
- Certified asthma & allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Material Type: ABS
- Recommended for small sized rooms from 100 to 200 square feet
AeraMax 100 is a true HEPA filter air purifier that is asthma and allergen-friendly thanks to the high-performance Aera mode. This helps to eliminate odors from dust, smoke, germ, mold, and other pollutants that could trigger your allergies or asthma. It uses a 4-stage filtration process that includes the pre-filter, true HEPA filter, activated carbon filter, and an ionizer that ensures your indoor air is clean and fresh.
The true HEPA filter has an antimicrobial treatment that safely eliminates all airborne particles in the air while the carbon filter ensures that there are no odors, household smells, smoke, or harmful chemical fumes left in the air. The smart sensor helps to detect any changes in the air quality and automatically adjusts the fan speed to keep your air purified. This air purifier uses an ionizer to safely all airborne pollutants, and it may produce a crackling noise when it’s switched on.
- Very effective for people with asthma and allergies
- You can turn off the ionizer
- Very sensitive to pollutants
- Has great smart features
- Covers a very small area
- Can be a bit noisy
A powerful air purifier with great smart features that are very sensitive to the quality of your indoor air. Although it covers a small area, it is effective in giving you clean, fresh, and safe air throughout the day or night.
View price on Amazon
IQAir [Atem Desk Personal Air Purifier [HyperHEPA Filter] Allergies, Pets, Asthma, Pollen, Dust; Swiss Made (White)
- #1 Rated personal air purifier (Winner of 2019 Global Innovations Award)
- Small enough to fit in your carry-on, perfect size for your workplace
- Only IQAir's exclusive HyperHEPA filters stop ultrafine particles (down to 0.003 microns)
- Stops the smallest particles that exist: 10x smaller than a virus
- HyperHEPA filtration delivers up to 99% purified air to your personal breathing zone
IQAir Atem is a personal air purifier that you can place on your desk in the office or on a table in your bedroom, and it comes with a compact size and sleek design. This portable air purifier doesn’t cover a wide area like other purifiers, instead, it purifies your breathing zone thanks to the Pure Jet diffuser. It uses the HyperHEPA filtration technology which can remove even the tiniest pollutant particles that you can easily inhale to your lungs and absorb into your bloodstream.
All the smart features in this air purifier can be controlled using a Bluetooth app that you can download. You can easily control the manual and auto air controls like remotely turn the device on and off or change the fan speed so that you can have a peaceful night sleep. To preserve the life of the filter and save energy, the proximity sensor will signal the air purifier to turn off when you walk away. This is a versatile device that provides 5 air purifiers in one system.
- It’s a small air purifier that can fit on your desk
- Has a simple design that is easy to assemble
- It’s effective at giving you fresh, clean air when you need it
- Suitable for your bedroom as it operates quietly
- You can carry it when traveling
- It’s only for personal use
- The plug breaks easily
A small, portable air purifier that can clean the air in your personal space using a HyperHEPA filter that eliminates even the tiniest pollutant particles in the air. You can easily control it using a mobile app so you don’t have to rely on the manual and auto air controls. It also helps you to change the fan settings so you can sleep soundly in your bedroom.
View price on Amazon
Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier 3 Stage with Two Washable Pre-Filters, Particle, Carbon Filter, Captures Allergens, Odors, Smoke, Mold, Dust, Germs, Pets, Smokers, Small Room
$99.99 in stock
4 used from $ 91.99
- 3-PART FILTRATION system captures 99% of common airborne PM 2.5 pollutants such as allergens, odors, smoke , mold spores, dust mites and pet dander
- ACTIVATED CARBON filter removes common odors caused by smoke, pets, cooking, dorm room smells and gases (VOCs) as well as smoke caused by wildfires.
- WASHABLE pre-filter captures large particles such as dust and pet hair and can be changed to match any décor. Dark blue and grey pre-filters are included and other colors can be purchased separately
- QUIET OPERATION enabled by advanced filters that allow for a higher air flow at a lower noise level. Sound Level : 17 - 46 DB(A)
- Designed for small to medium rooms between 100 sq. ft. and 175 sq. ft. (AHAM rated at 161 sq. ft) make this purifier perfect for small bedrooms, offices, nurseries and dorm rooms. Air inlet - 360 degree
Blue Pure 411 is an air purifier designed for small rooms with a washable fabric filter and carbon filters to absorb odors, smoke, and smells. It operates quietly when running on a low fan speed for a peaceful sleep.
This air purifier doesn’t have a HEPA or true HEPA filter but uses a unique HEPASilent technology that is even better at removing contaminants while using less energy and less noise. The washable pre-filter fabric helps to remove the large particles and even the microspores in the air, while the carbon filter absorbs all the chemicals, smoke, cooking odors, and VOCs.
- A very quiet air purifier
- Easy to use and clean
- It’s an energy-saving device
- It improves the air quality indoors
- It’s not a true HEPA filter
- It’s great for small rooms
A small but very effective air purifier that operates quietly and uses less energy to purify the air in your room. It’s more advanced HEPASilent technology ensures that the air you breathe is free of odors, harmful chemicals, and other contaminants.
View price on Amazon
When choosing the best air purifier for bedrooms, it’s good to consider the size of the air purifier and the size of the room you want to put it in. It would be a disaster to buy an air purifier with not enough room for it.
The Coway AP-1512HH mighty air purifier is an air purifier that is designed to accommodate large rooms. It has smart sensors that make your work easier and a filtration system that ensures the indoor air stay clean and fresh. The best part is it runs quietly so it doesn’t disturb you while you’re sleeping.