Welcome to our guide to the best air purifier for smoke! If you or someone else in your family smokes inside your house, the rest of your family members have increased passive exposure to second-hand and third-hand smoke. That’s why it’s important to have the best air purifier for smoke to reduce the harmful effects of cigarette smoke and pollutants on your health.
The smoke exhaled by a smoker and the smoke that comes from a burning cigarette are known as second-hand smoke. The toxic particles from cigarette smoke that settle on surfaces all around your home are known as third-hand smoke. Exposure to these particles poses a threat to not just the smoker’s health but also to the rest of their non-smoking family members.
These threats include things like respiratory diseases, cancer, and cardiovascular diseases. Cigarette smoke particles are very small and can be inhaled easily. They are hard to remove from inside your house. If you have very poor indoor ventilation, opening your windows and doors may not even be sufficient enough to remove the risks.
Best Air Purifier For Smoke: How Do Air Purifiers Work?
Air pollution doesn’t only occur outside your home. It also happens inside. Inside your home, things like dust mites and dirt pollute the air you breathe and can cause you to develop issues like asthma and different allergies. Using a vacuum cleaner may remove some of the dirt, but not all of it.
Instead, it helps to use an air purifier like a HEPA filter (high energy particulate arresting) that is effective in removing odors, allergens, and other airborne particles responsible for causing allergies.
Air purifiers will help smokers and the people living with them to keep the air clean and safe to breathe. You can also use an air purifier in your office to filter the air from harmful particles to help you breathe easier.
However, it’s important to note that for the air purifier to be effective, your home or office must have proper ventilation so that you can get the maximum amount of clean air.
Why You Need To Get Rid Of Smoke
Whether smoke is from a forest fire, cigarette, or cigar, it can be very harmful to your health. It doesn’t matter if you’re a healthy person to begin with. If you’re exposed to smoke over a long period it can have adverse effects on your health.
If you smoke, you bear the brunt of the damage caused by cigarette smoking. But it also affects the people you share your home with. When people and pets inhale second-hand smoke from cigarettes or cigars, it can cause them to develop coughs and colds more often. Also, it can lead to asthma, pneumonia, and even lung cancer.
Second-hand cigarette smoke is also very dangerous to children because their lungs are still developing as they’re growing. Exposure to this kind of smoke could have lasting effects for the rest of their lives. That’s why it’s important to remove it from the air they breathe.
If you live in a place where cigarette smoke is present or that’s prone to forest fires, invest in the best air purifier for smoke. An air purifier that filters smoke will help to capture all the fine particles you can’t see so that they don’t cause any health issues for you, your family, or pets.
Best Air Purifiers For Smoke Have Two Main Types Of Air Filters
A HEPA filter is one of the most common filters in air purifiers. HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Arresting. It’s an ultra-fine fiberglass filter that captures the tiniest particles in the air very easily. The large particles are trapped while the smaller ones are filtered right through. To ensure that the contaminant particles from the cigarette smoke stay in the filter, diffusion is used. To get the best HEPA filter for your air purifier, check for the one labeled “true HEPA filter.” This will be certified and tested to capture 99.97% of the tiniest particles in the air that can get into your lungs.
Activated carbon filter
Although the HEPA filter is very effective in purifying the air around you, it’s not effective in getting rid of cigarette odors or cooking smells. That’s where the activated carbon filter comes in. The filter is made with special activated carbon that is made up of millions of tiny absorbent pores that increase the surface area of the medium, allowing the cigarette smoke gases to be collected through absorption. This kind of air filter in an air purifier can absorb and neutralize hazardous chemicals on a molecular level like the odor from cigarettes and cigars. Once the particles are trapped, they change from their gaseous form to solid. Then, they’re collected by other filters like the HEPA filter.
Tips To Help You Find The Best Air Purifier For Smoke
Most people end up overpaying for the wrong purifier because they don’t know what to look for. These few tips will point you in the right direction.
- Look for an air purifier with replacement filters that aren’t expensive. The washable plates aren’t very effective. They will remove odor and some pollution, but no dust or pollen. They also create harmful ozone that is harmful to the environment.
- Buy an air purifier with a true HEPA filter. This will ensure that your air purifier will capture 99.97% of the tiniest particles in the air.
- Find an air purifier with a 3-5 year warranty, especially on its motor. The air purifier has to be the right size to be efficient and it can only clear the air if it gets inside the machine which means a motor and a fan are needed. These parts will make some noise but think of the noise as a sign that your air purifier is working properly. It’s also important to keep in mind that even when the motor and fan are silent, you will still hear the movement of the air.
Review: Comparison Table For The Best Air Purifier For Smoke
Type of Filter
Check on Amazon
True HEPA filter, carbon filter, ionizer
True HEPA filter, carbon filter, plasma-wave
True HEPA filter, carbon filter
HyperHEPA filter, carbon filter
True HEPA filter, carbon filter
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier with True HEPA and Eco Mode
$195.65 in stock
10 used from $ 167.77
- Coway Mighty (AP-1512HH) is designed to accommodate room sizes up to 361 sq.ft (CADR: Dust 246 / Pollen 240 / Smoke 233 cb. ft.).
- 4 Stage Filtration System (Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, Vital Ion) captures and reduces up to 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns in the air, including pollen, pollutants and other allergens. It also reduces volatile organic compounds and reduces odor.
- Coway Mighty pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality in real-time. The brightly colored LED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day. And it features a timer, and filter lifetime indicator.
- Fan speeds available in 1, 2, 3 stages by manually setting up. While auto mode automatically optimizes the speed setting 1 through 3 based on the level of indoor air quality. When no pollution is detected for 30 minutes, the fan will automatically stop and set as Eco mode to save energy.
- Timer feature allows the machine to run 1/4/8 hours before automatically powering off.
The Coway AP-1515HH Mighty Air Purifier is specifically designed for apartments, living rooms, and mid-sized spaces. It has a sleek tower design that uses a multi-stage filtration with a long-life HEPA filter. This air purifier has a filter change indicator, a timer, and various airflow modes and controls. It also comes with a new eco mode. If there is no pollution detected in 30 minutes, the fan automatically stops to conserve energy. You can set the timer to 1, 4, or 8 hours.
The filter replacement indicator is helpful as it lets you know when you need to change it. The air quality indicator monitors the quality of the indoor air. Color changes let you know how clean or dirty the air in the rooms is in real-time. The unit uses an automatic mode to adjust the fan’s speed if it senses an increase in the indoor air particles. An airflow control has 3 fan speeds that allow you to adjust the air output depending on how much you want to purify the air around you.
This air purifier uses a 4 stage filtration system which includes the pre-filter, carbon filter, a true HEPA filter, and an ion filter. These all help to capture and reduce the air particles by 99.97% which include pollen, allergens, and pollutants. It also helps to reduce odor and harmful compounds in the air.
- The replacement filters are very cheap
- It’s very sensitive to any dirt, odor, or dust in the air
- The fan automatically turns off when there isn’t any pollution in the air
- It gets very noisy when it reaches max speed
- The light for showing the air condition is very bright
This air purifier uses 4 stages of filtration which ensures that it picks up any dirt, smell, or odors in your home. It constantly checks the quality of air and any changes is indicated with a change in color. This causes an automatic change in the airflow speed depending on the quality of air. It’s a great air purifier to have in your apartment or living room.
View price on Amazon
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter
$152.99 in stock
3 used from $ 139.84
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
Winix 550-2 air purifier has decent fan power and an incredible air filtration process targeting the low-range market. It uses a three stage air purification system. This includes advanced odor control that uses the carbon filter to reduce odors from smoke, cooking, and pets, and also to catch airborne particles. The true HEPA filter takes care of most of the allergens in the air like dirt, dust, pollen, smoke, and mold spores. Lastly, plasma-wave technology is an ionizer which further reduces the pollutants in the air.
Smart sensors and auto mode monitor the air and reflect in the LED indicator. This checks the quality of the indoor air and gauges it on a scale of good to poor using blue-red-amber colors. When there’s a change in the air quality, it automatically speeds up the fan to clean the air. The filter replacement indicator will alert you when you need to replace the filters. You can switch to manual mode where you can choose the speed of the fan from low, medium, high, or turbo. If you want it to run silently, choose low or medium. For maximum airflow and cleaning, choose high or turbo.
- Very effective in keeping the air clean
- It has a sturdy and durable construction
- You can operate it on manual or auto mode
- Some people are concerned about the plasma-wave
A very quick and effective air purifier that you can use on your house to get rid of smoke, pollen, dirt, and other pollutants in the air. It uses the plasma-wave technology which further helps to purify the air. It’s a quiet purifier so you don’t have to worry about dealing with a lot of noise.
View price on Amazon
Honeywell 50250-S True HEPA Air Purifier, 390 sq. ft, White
- LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER: This HEPA purifier captures up to 99.97% of microscopic allergens 0.3 microns & larger from the air that passes through the filters. Effective for large & extra large rooms
- SPECIAL FEATURES: This purifier features 3 air cleaning levels, SurroundSeal Technology to minimize air leaks, & a filter indicator to remind you when to clean the HEPA filter & change the pre-filter
- ODOR REDUCING PREFILTER: An activated carbon pre-filter captures larger particles before they reach the HEPA filter & helps reduce odors. A 360-degree air intake & discharge maximizes efficiency
- BREATHE CLEAN AIR: Honeywell Filters are capable of removing allergy-provoking dust, pet dander, pollen, smoke & mold spores from indoor air. Breathe only the cleanest air in your home or office
- HEALTHIER AIR: Our True HEPA Filters can help create a cleaner & healthier breathing experience, capturing microscopic particles & allergens that can be detrimental to the quality of air you intake
Honeywell 50250-S is a powerful air purifier that you can place in your large office, living room, bedroom, or even a lab. It’s designed with HEPA technology which makes it powerful in getting rid of contaminants in the air because it uses the true HEPA filtration system. This means it can remove 99.9.7% of the pollutants in the air and is very efficient and quick in removing them. This is an ideal air purifier for removing dust, smoke, pollen, pet dander, and other pollutants.
This purifier has 3 levels of cleaning air which ensures that the air you breathe is free of any pollutants. The surround-seal technology used in this purifier ensures there are only minimal air leaks. Its activated carbon pre-filter captures the large particles in the air and helps to minimize odors from cooking, cigarette smoke, or pet odor. This leaves your room with fresh smelling air. It’s a durable HEPA filter that can last for more than 5 years without any problems.
- Significantly reduces the dust, allergens, and smoke in the air
- It’s easy to replace the pre-filters
- Easy to maintain
- This air purifier is loud
- The blue light is very bright
A powerful HEPA filter air purifier that will ensure that the air you’re breathing in your home or office is free of any smoke, dust, dirt, pollen, mold spores, or other pollutants in the air. It’s very easy to replace its filters and it’s a great investment because it will serve you for many years without any problems.
View price on Amazon
IQAir GS multigas air purifier
IQAir [GC MultiGas Air Purifier] Medical-Grade Air [HyperHEPA Filter] - Odors, Smoke, Allergies, Pets, Asthma, Pollen, Dust, MCS; Swiss Made
- #1 Rated room air purifier for multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) & tobacco smoke
- Proven medical-grade air filtration: 100x more effective than HEPA air purifiers
- Only IQAir's exclusive HyperHEPA filters stop ultrafine particles (down to 0.003 microns)
- Stops the smallest particles that exist: 10x smaller than a virus
- Powerful filtration: covers a room size up to 1,125 sq ft (104.5 sq m)
The GS Multigas is a great air purifier to have in your living room, bedroom, or office if you’re looking for the ultimate solution in getting rid of smoke and odors.. This is a high-quality air purifier that is built with a unique and superior design. A 3D ultra seal ensures that the filter is completely sealed in the filter frame to avoid internal leaks. It uses 4 disposable gas-phase filter cartridges that consist of the best grade of activated carbon which is effective in capturing even the microspores.
It uses a HyperHEPA filtration system to filter even the ultra-fine particles in the air. With such power, it can purify all toxins from soot, viruses, tobacco smoke, and more. For this air purifier to be more effective in cleaning the air inside, open all doors. It has a very powerful fan that will clean your air in minutes.
The smart sensor is a very useful feature as it’s very accurate in detecting any changes in the quality of air indoors. It automatically adjusts the speed of the fan to be suitable for the room. So you don’t have to monitor and control the air purifier. All you need is to turn it on and enjoy breathing in clean air.
- Effective in getting rid of allergens in the air
- It alerts you when to change the filters
- It’s a well-made system with quality technology
- A very powerful fan that quickly cleans the air in minutes
- Very quiet
- It’s quite expensive
A high-end, durable, and quiet air purifier that uses the HyperHEPA filtration system to make sure that it captures even the tiniest particles in the air. This gives you very clean air that is free of smoke, dirt, pollen, pet dander, or microspores.
View price on Amazon
LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home Large Room with True HEPA Filter, Air Cleaner for Allergies and Pets, Smokers, Mold, Pollen, Dust, Quiet Odor Eliminators for Bedroom, Energy Star, Smart Sensor, LV-PUR131
$159.99 in stock
- 100% OZONE FREE: Unlike some other brands, Levoit air purifiers are always 100% ozone-free, never using the UV-C light and anion purification methods that cause harm to children and people with asthma
- HIGHER EFFICIENCY FOR LARGE ROOM: With Honeycomb activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, Pre-filter, the purify efficiency is 30% higher and purify speed is 30% faster than other ordinary air cleaner, air change 4. 5 times per hour for 360 sq. ft. room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
- SMART FILTER LIFE: With smart scientific algorithm, our air purifier can calculate the real filter life according to the filter's situation, not just simply define the filter's life with a few months, thus help to save money
- AUTO MODE: With a cutting edge smart sensor, the air purifier can automatically adjust between 3 fan speed settings in response to real-time air quality readings
- QUIET AS RUSTLING LEAVES: Filter the air with a noise level of 27 dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply
This Levoit air purifier is 100% ozone free. It doesn’t use any ions or UV-C light in its purification process which could be harmful to children and people with asthma. You can place it in any medium or large-sized rooms like the bedroom, kitchen, or family room. It uses a three level filtration system that contains the honeycomb activated carbon filter, true HEPA filter, and the pre-filter to capture most of the airborne pollutants in the environment like hair, pet fur, dust mites, pollen, bacteria, cooking smells, and pet odor.
The timer allows you to set how long you want the purifier to operate. A filter indicator alerts you when you need to change the filters depending on the air quality, fan speed, and how long it needs to run. You can set the sleep mode at its lowest so that you’re not disturbed by the unit’s noise. The fan is very quiet at the low and medium fan settings, but at its highest speed, it’s very loud, which can be irritating. It’s safe and reliable and it conserves energy.
- It’s easy to set up the machine
- It’s safe to use around people with allergies
- It conserves energy
- Doesn’t use ions and UV-C light in the purification process
- It has an uneven fan noise
- The auto mode isn’t very effective in neutralizing the smoke and odor
This air purifier is safe and reliable to use.It’s considered to be quality-assured and energy saving. It’s effective in cleaning the air around you without making much noise.
View price on Amazon
When it comes to buying the best air purifier for smoke you should consider Coway AP-1512HH mighty air purifier. It’s a powerful unit that is pocket-friendly and also effective in keeping your air clean.