Nowadays many people and families have pets in their homes whether it’s a cat, dog, or other furry friends. This makes your home a host to a wide range of pet hairs, dander, and odors, which is why you need the best air purifier for cat dander to keep the air in your home fresh and clean.
Many pet lovers suffer from allergies or asthma because of constantly breathing allergens, dust, dirt, and other pollutants that pollute the air. That’s why you will find a never-ending cycle of coughs, running nose, itchy and watery eyes, congestion, sneezing, and difficulty in breathing simply because of your pet. Living with a pet can be a real problem. It’s important to distinguish between pet dander and hair if you want to get the best air purifier for cat dander.
What Is Pet Dander?
Pet dander is the tiny pieces of skin you pet sheds, together with fur or hair. You will also find dander in animals with feathers, like birds. Pet dander is not only found in younger animals but actually gets worse as the animal gets older. This means the older your pet gets, the more dander it sheds around your home. Pet dander is the main reason why your pet allergies flare up. You may also find it in animal saliva which flakes off from your pet’s fur and becomes airborne.
If you have dog or cat allergies, you want to get the best air purifier for pet dander to remove it from the rooms to reduce your pet allergies.
Tips To Use The Best Air Purifier For Cat Dander
Once you buy an air purifier, there are a few things you can do to optimize its efficiency.
Place in a good location
Since animals are creatures of habit, identify the common places in your house that your pets like to hang out. To reduce the amount of dander, hair, and odors, place the air purifier close to where your pet likes to stay most of the time like a favorite corner, near the couch, or a pet bed on the floor.
Keep the doors and windows shut
If you’re using an air purifier to get rid of pet dander and odors, you must remember to keep your windows and doors closed when using it. It might seem like a good idea to open the windows so that the particles can float outside, but that will only cause the air purifier to work extra hard. When you close your doors and windows, it becomes easier for the air purifier to capture all the airborne contaminants and clean your air even using the lowest settings.
Give the purifier space to breathe
Unless otherwise required by the manufacturer, leave at least two feet of space all around the sides and top of the machine to allow proper flow of air. The proper and unobstructed flow of air will ensure that it collects most of the pet dander and hair in the room.
Keep the purifier running day and night
You may think that you’re conserving energy by turning your air purifier on and off, but it’s not a very good idea. For the air purifier to be effective in keeping the pet dander, odors, and hairs under control, it needs to run 24/7. Most of the air purifiers in the market today are energy efficient, so you don’t have to worry about your electricity bill at the end of the month.
Ensure that the filters are changed on time
Manufacturers of air purifiers recommend a certain period after which you should replace or clean your filters. Some can be within a short period of 3-6 months.Others have a longer period of 12 months or more. Read the product manual so you know what your product requires. Make sure you change the filters at the right time. Dirty or clogged filters will make your air purifier ineffective in its job.
Other Ways Of Removing Cat Dander And Hair
Brushing your pet at least once a day or 3 times a week will drastically reduce the amount of pet dander in your home. While an air purifier is effective in removing it from your room, using a pet comb can help speed up the process.
Bathing your pet regularly is a simple and effective way of keeping pet dander under control. A weekly bath can help remove about 85% of dander in your home. However, you may not have the free time to give your cat weekly baths. When you combine this cleaning ritual and an air purifier, you can keep your home free of cat dander for a long time.
If the cat dander and hair gets on your furniture, the simplest way of removing it is by using packing tape or a clothing tape roller to remove it. If you want to use the packing tape, wrap the tape around your hand with the sticky side facing out, then attach it to the end of the tape roll. Roll it all over your furniture to collect dander or hair that has accumulated on the surface.
Review: Comparison Table For The Best Air Purifier For Cat Dander
Type of Filter
Check on Amazon
True HEPA filter and activated carbon filter
HEPA Odorcell filter, ionizer, and carbon filter
Max v-HEPA filter and activated carbon filter
True HEPA filter, carbon filter, and plasmawave technology
Particle filter comprising of HEPA filter and carbon filter
LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home Smokers Allergies and Pets Hair, True HEPA & High Efficiency Carbon Filter, Filtration System Cleaner, Eliminates Smoke Odor Dust Mold, Quiet in Bedroom Office, LV-H132
$68.39 in stock
4 used from $ 61.34
- Designed in California. The UVC Light and Anion that other Brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children and Asthma sufferers. Levoit air purifiers never use these for 100% Ozone free
- Advanced 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, mold, odor and large dust particles, in addition to removing 99.97% of airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns. The 3-in-1 filtration system effectively improves indoor air quality so you can enjoy fresh air at home
- Ultra-Silent Operation: Filters the air with the lowest noise level as quiet as 25dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply
- High-Efficiency Air Purifier: Circulates room air over 4 times per hour to achieve rapid purification. Unique size and contemporary design make the Levoit air purifier suitable for small or medium-sized rooms, like offices and dorms
- Night Light: Choose between two brightness settings at night to help you see in the evening or turn the light off entirely to create your ideal sleep environment for an undisturbed slumber
Levoit LV-H132 is a small air purifier, but very powerful in handling pet dander, hairs, and odors. It also helps get rid of smoke, pollen, and dust, leaving the air safe and fresh. This air purifier is suitable for cleaning the air in small to medium-sized rooms. The night light has a soothing ambiance which makes it ideal to place in your bedroom. This machine can purify your air quietly during the night so you don’t have to worry about loud noises. It uses a true HEPA filter to capture allergens, large particles, pet dander, hairs, and other pollutants in the air, bringing you relief from your pet allergies brought about by your furry friend.
The activated carbon filter then absorbs any unpleasant odors, smoke, and other household and pet odors, improving the quality of your indoor air. This air purifier is 100% ozone-free. It doesn’t use UVC light and anion, which are harmful to children and people with asthma, in purifying your air. It has affordable replacement filters that you can change after 6-8 months depending on the air quality in your home and usage.
- A small machine but effective
- Helps to improve allergies
- Efficient in removing pet odor
- It’s affordable
- The sound can bother some users at night
- The blue light might interfere with your sleep
A small but effective air purifier that ensures your home is free of pet dander, hairs, and odors and also helps in improving your pet allergies.
Alen BreatheSmart Classic Large Room Air Purifier, 1100 sqft. Big Coverage Area, HEPA Filter for Pet Dander, Pet Odors, Allergies, Pollen, Dust, Dander and Fur in Espresso
- BIG ROOMS? NO BIG DEAL ~ Developed from the minds (and smarts) of NASA airflow engineers, the BreatheSmart Classic cleans 1100 SqFt every 30 minutes. Capable of tackling the largest spaces in your home, our WhisperMax technology makes us twice as quiet as key competitors on Turbo speed.
- RECOMMENDED FOR ~ Allergies, Dust, Pet Dander and Heavy Odors. Equipped with 1.5 lbs of proprietary odor eliminating compound, our HEPA-OdorCell destroys unwanted household odors at the molecular level. Capable of tackling the toughest odors in your home, such as cat litter, puppy potty pads and even diaper smells. HEPA-OdorCell is your all-around pet solution.
- INTUITIVE INTELLIGENCE ~ Our Laser Smart Sensor detects airborne particles down to 0.3 microns and the Air Quality Indicator Light reflects your room's air quality in real time. In Auto-Mode, BreatheSmart self-adjusts its fan speed to address your ever-changing indoor environment. Sit back and breathe easy. We've got this.
- BEAUTY MEETS BRAINS ~ 14 versatile designer panels to suit multiple tastes and decors. We're the only air purifier that looks right at home.
- GUARANTEED. FOREVER. ~ Our guarantee is unmatched by any other air purifier company. Period. For lifetime peace of mind.
Allen BreatheSmart Classic is an air purifier with a modern, stylish look that suits the needs of large rooms. This powerful air purifier has been designed to deal with allergies and pets. You can customize it to the color you want and choose from the 4 HEPA type filters depending on your needs. This high-end air purifier doesn’t come with a true HEPA filter or a carbon filter. Instead, it uses Allen BreatheSmart HEPA OdorCell filter technology that is effective in dealing with pets and odors to ensure that there is no stink in any room.
It has 3 layers. The pre-filter layer captures all large particles like cat hair and pet dander. The second layer helps to trap pollen, dust, and other allergens that are in the air, while the last layer traps and neutralizes any odor. Smart sensors monitor the quality of air indoors and adjust the speed of the fans accordingly. WhisperMax technology allows the machine to operate quietly even when it’s set at the highest level. You can sleep soundly knowing that you’re breathing clean air.
- It’s suitable for purifying the air in large spaces
- Works fast to purify the air in your home
- Suitable for people with allergies
- It’s not very noisy
- Gives you a choice on which air filter you need
- It’s expensive
A high-quality air purifier that gives you an option of 4 HEPA type filters to choose from depending on your needs. It comes with smart features, a stylish design, and customizable colors to match your furniture. It’s effective at ensuring your home is free of pet dander and odors.
Oransi Max HEPA Large Room Air Purifier for Asthma Mold, Dust and Allergies
$479.00 in stock
- Ideal as a bedroom, basement or large room air purifier for asthma, mold spores, dust remover, pets and allergies. Sleep and feel better to be your best.
- Have confidence since Oransi filters were rated #1 in the only comprehensive university study of air cleaners. Energy Star certified and tested by the AHAM test lab. Safe to use as a baby air purifier or for sensitive pets.
- Say goodbye to nasal stuffiness and wake to a home that smells fresher and cleaner. Sleep peacefully with this quiet air purifier.
- Simple to use. Just plug it in and breathe easier in your allergy free haven. Easy filter access and the user interface is intuitive. No complicated set-up.
- Smart - Intelligent Air Quality Monitor checks your air quality and adjusts the fan speed automatically to ensure you are breathing the cleanest air in auto mode.
Oranso Max is a HEPA filter air purifier that you can place in a large living room or bedroom to effectively clean and bring relief to your allergies or asthma. This is a high-end machine that provides you with clean and fresh air after removing dust, pet dander, pollen, mold, and allergens. It produces very little white noise when operating so you can sleep comfortably, which makes it perfect for your bedroom. The air is filtered in 3 stages. The pre-filter traps large particles. A v-HEPA filter captures all the particles and seals them in the filter. Finally, the activated carbon filter traps and neutralizes all the smoke, gases, and odors.
It’s a great energy saver and even safe to use around babies or sensitive pets. The air quality monitor constantly checks the quality of air in the room and automatically adjusts the fan speed to ensure that you’re breathing clean, fresh air throughout. The filter replacement indicator will alert you when you need to change the filters and the v-HEPA filter comes with a color-coded guide to help you know when you need to replace it.
- Cleans the air that helps reduce your allergies
- Very effective in removing odors
- Has a lengthy warranty
- Very quiet at low speeds
- It’s a bit noisy for some users
A HEPA filter air purifier that you can use in large living rooms, bedroom, or office. It runs quietly at low speeds even at night to ensure that your air is cleaned and safe to breathe, even for babies and sensitive pets.
Winix HR1000 5-Stage WiFi Enabled Air Cleaner
- Wi-Fi enabled with free smart app
- UL listed and Certified
- Anti-microbial true HEPA filter.
- Sporting a 5-Stage air purification system with Washable Pre-Filter
Winix HR1000 is an eco-friendly air purifier that uses plasmawave technology to neutralize harmful gases, bacteria, odors, and VOCs without emitting any harmful ozone. It uses a 5-stage air cleaning system which combines the true HEPA filter and the plasmawave technology to remove and destroy all the particles and allergens that your pet is shedding into the air. This means that there will be no more pet dander, dust, pollen, or mold spores that trigger your pet allergies. The true HEPA filter will not only trap the tiniest particles, but also lasts a long time before needing to be cleaned, thanks to the anti-microbial coating.
Plasmawave technology ensures that air pollutants are eliminated and dispersed safely, giving you fresh and clean air. The pre-filter is washable and reusable. It helps to capture pet hair and the activated carbon filter takes care of the pet odors, smoke, and VOCs. Smart sensors can detect the quality of the indoor air and adjust the fan speed to remove any contaminants. This air purifier has a unique WiFi function that allows you to turn it on and off from your mobile app on your smartphone.
- You don’t have to change the filter very often
- It makes very little white noise even on a high-level speed
- It covers a large area
- Effective in removing air pollutants
- The electromagnetic from other electronic appliances can cause the air purifier to malfunction
A stylish air purifier that has very powerful fans at a very affordable price. The WiFi function is very convenient and allows you to operate the machine at a distance. It has a 5-stage filtration system that makes sure the air in your rooms is clean and fresh.
Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier 3 Stage with Two Washable Pre-Filters, Particle, Carbon Filter, Captures Allergens, Odors, Smoke, Mold, Dust, Germs, Pets, Smokers, Small Room
1 used from $ 74.25
- 3-PART FILTRATION system captures 99% of common airborne PM 2.5 pollutants such as allergens, odors, smoke , mold spores, dust mites and pet dander
- ACTIVATED CARBON filter removes common odors caused by smoke, pets, cooking, dorm room smells and gases (VOCs) as well as smoke caused by wildfires.
- WASHABLE pre-filter captures large particles such as dust and pet hair and can be changed to match any décor. Dark blue and grey pre-filters are included and other colors can be purchased separately
- QUIET OPERATION enabled by advanced filters that allow for a higher air flow at a lower noise level. Sound Level : 17 - 46 DB(A)
- Designed for small to medium rooms between 100 sq. ft. and 175 sq. ft. (AHAM rated at 161 sq. ft) make this purifier perfect for small bedrooms, offices, nurseries and dorm rooms. Air inlet - 360 degree
Blue Pure 411 is a simple, user-friendly, and pocket-friendly air purifier that you can place in small bedrooms, offices, hallways, or nurseries. It uses a 3-stage filtration system to give you clean and fresh air. Instead of using the true HEPA filter, it uses HEPASilent technology. This combines mechanical and electrostatic filtration to ensure that it removes all particles and even the tiniest pollutants like cat dander, dust, and other pollutants in the air.
It has an external pre-filter that traps pet hair or fur that you can wash. This helps to extend the life of the particle filter and extends its efficiency. Low fan power operates the machine quietly so it doesn’t make so much noise when it’s switched on, and also conserves your electricity. You can recycle all the filters. Replace them after about 6 months depending on how you use them.
- The filters are easy to replace and inexpensive
- A very quiet machine
- Works well in small rooms
- Helps to remove cooking odor and fumes
- It’s not a true HEPA filter
- The dust filter isn’t that effective
A simple but effective air purifier you can use in small rooms to keep the air clean and fresh. You can wash the filters and easily replace them after 6 months. Since it has low fan power it won’t make any noise when operating. This makes it ideal to place in your bedroom.
Now that you have a better understanding of how air purifiers work and some of the things you need to consider when buying a good quality air purifier for cleaning your indoor air from all the pet odors and pollutants, you can make an informed decision.
Having cats and dogs in your house can pollute the air you’re breathing. This can trigger your pet allergies because of the dander, fur, dust, and odors in the air. However, your indoor air can become clean and fresh with the help of the best air purifier for cat dander that will remove the pollutants and odors in your home. Levoit LV-H132 air purifier is a small but powerful air purifier that will remove any pet odors and contaminants, leaving your home smelling fresh and clean.