Welcome to our buying guide for the best air purifier for small rooms. If you’re looking to improve the quality of the air you breathe every day, many air purifiers are suitable for different room sizes. Depending on the size of your room or home, consider these options for the best air purifier for small rooms for the bedroom, living room, or small apartment.
There are many larger units if you have space to put them. But they might be more than you need if you’re only looking for a small space air purifier. Air cleaning systems in these air purifiers come in different types, shapes, and sizes.
Unique Differences In Small Room Air Purifiers
Three unique differences make small space air purifiers different from their larger counterparts.
- They’re made to be physically small so that they can fit in small spaces without crowding.
- They’re designed to clean less air than an air purifier for large rooms or the entire house.
- They produce very little noise because loud purifiers can be very annoying in small spaces. The best air purifier for small rooms would be one that makes the least bit of noise.
An air purifier is designed to improve your health by reducing the number of contaminants in the air you’re breathing and not make you sick or worsen your condition. That’s why it’s very important to choose the right air purifier that satisfies your needs and use it correctly. Here are some points you should consider so that your air purifier helps your health.
Tips For Choosing And Using An Air Purifier
Use the air purifier correctly
If you use the best air purifier for small rooms correctly it will improve your air quality and health. However, some see no changes because of using it the wrong way or not using it for the right amount of time. The correct way to use an air purifier is to keep it running throughout the day and night. When you get your new air purifier, set it at the highest levels so that it can quickly remove all the airborne particles in the room.
If you’ve placed the air purifier in a small room, the air can be cleaned in a few minutes. In larger rooms, it will take a few hours to clean. Once you start feeling changes in the air quality, don’t turn it off. This could reverse the air quality to what it was before, triggering your allergies. To avoid this, just lower the settings a bit so that you can still maintain the quality of air in the room.
Avoid air purifiers that are ozone generators
Some air purifiers use ozone which emits harmful gases either during the purification process or as a byproduct. Some companies that manufacture air purifiers believe that ozone reacts and kills harmful airborne microorganisms, chemicals, and irritants.
However, ozone is toxic and dangerous to your throat and lungs. Overexposure can lead to coughing, tightness in your chest, or trouble breathing. Babies and young children are also vulnerable.
Although ozone is safe in small amounts, it’s better to avoid air purifiers that use ozone. Some newer models of ionic air purifiers are made to avoid producing ozone, and to capture the ozone molecules and convert them into oxygen. You can opt for the best air purifiers for small rooms that use a HEPA filtration system instead. This is very effective in removing allergens and irritants without emitting any ozone.
Maintain proper household hygiene
Air purifiers will suck out all the dust, dirt, and particles. But that doesn’t mean you don’t have to clean your home regularly. This can trigger your allergies and cause asthma symptoms to flare up. By regularly cleaning your home, you disturb the dirt that has settled in your room. This helps the air purifier to capture all the dust and pollutants in the air.
Change the filters often
Regular maintenance like changing the filters could increase the effectiveness of the air purifier. A HEPA filter needs to be cleaned and changed regularly because it becomes clogged with dirt. This can affect its efficiency of your air purifier and your health.
How often you change the filter depends on many things, so it’s good to keep an eye on them. If your filter is clogged with dying bacteria, it can release toxins that can recirculate back into the room. Or mold spores that are still alive in the filter can feed and grow on the dirt, then release spores back into the air. If you don’t take the time to clean the filters, the fans will keep blowing pollutants in the air.
Check the air purifier’s CADR and standards
CADR is an important rating in air purifiers because it lets you know how effective it is in filtering dust, smoke, and pollen in the air. The higher the rating, the more effective the unit is.
Every air purifier has a different rating. Make sure to check the rating. Be careful when buying a HEPA filter air purifier because you can be misled by some marketing terms used. An air purifier with the terms ‘HEPA style’ or ‘HEPA-like’ means that the filters haven’t passed the HEPA standard and will not be effective in removing pollutants in your air.
Reviews: Comparisons For The Best Air Purifier For Small Rooms
Check on Amazon
3-stage filtration, night light function, 3 fan speeds, filter indicator
3-stage filtration, ozone free, filter reminder wheel
4-stage filtration, Aerasafe antimicrobial treatment, plasmatrue technology
3-stage filtration, UVC light filter, 3 fan speeds
4-stage filtration, ionizer, smart sensor indicator
3-stage filtration, colorful and washable pre-filters, energy-saving
LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home Smokers Allergies and Pets Hair, True HEPA & High Efficiency Carbon Filter, Filtration System Cleaner, Eliminates Smoke Odor Dust Mold, Quiet in Bedroom Office, LV-H132
$68.39 in stock
10 used from $ 58.67
- Designed in California. The UVC Light and Anion that other Brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children and Asthma sufferers. Levoit air purifiers never use these for 100% Ozone free
- Advanced 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, True HEPA Filter, and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture allergens, pet hair, dander, smoke, mold, odor and large dust particles, in addition to removing 99.97% of airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns. The 3-in-1 filtration system effectively improves indoor air quality so you can enjoy fresh air at home
- Ultra-Silent Operation: Filters the air with the lowest noise level as quiet as 25dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply
- High-Efficiency Air Purifier: Circulates room air over 4 times per hour to achieve rapid purification. Unique size and contemporary design make the Levoit air purifier suitable for small or medium-sized rooms, like offices and dorms
- Night Light: Choose between two brightness settings at night to help you see in the evening or turn the light off entirely to create your ideal sleep environment for an undisturbed slumber
Levoit LV-H132 is an impressive compact air purifier. It has a beautiful design which makes it perfect for small rooms and your bedroom. It comes with a three stage air filtration system that uses a true HEPA filter to clean your indoor air. You can easily put this air purifier on a side table in your bedroom or living room and it will keep the air fresh. It uses a pre-filter to capture all large particles. The true HEPA filter removes all the microorganisms, pollen, dust mites, viruses, and bacteria in the air.
The activated carbon filter then neutralizes all the odors, fumes, smoke, and other household smells to leave the air in your room smelling fresh. It uses a quiet mode and a nightlight so you can barely hear any sound from the unit as it operates even when it’s at the highest settings. The smart filter change reminder will alert you when it’s time to replace the filters. This is about every 6-8 months depending on the usage and air quality in the room.
- Good for people with allergies
- Effective at improving the quality of air in your room
- A small portable air purifier
- Doesn’t consume a lot of power
- Covers a small area
A small but powerful air purifier that you can place in small rooms to improve the quality of air indoors. It operates quietly and makes sure the air you’re breathing is clean and fresh throughout the day.
LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home with HEPA Filter, Compact Air Cleaner Purifiers for Allergies and Pets, Smokers,Pollen,Mold,Dust,Quiet Odor Eliminator for Bedroom,Small Room, LV-H126,2-Year Warranty
10 used from $ 51.47
- Designed in California: 100% ozone free! Does not use UV or ions which produce trace amounts of measurable ozone, a harmful air pollutant.
- 3-Stage Filtration System: The Pre-Filter, HEPA Filter & Activated Carbon Filter work together to remove 99. 9% of dust, pollen, smoke, odors, allergies, mold spores, and pet dander. Filters particles as small as 0. 3 microns.
- 3 Fan Speeds: Easily turn a dial on the front panel to adjust to your preference. Choose from Low, Medium, and High fan speeds. The effective range covers up to 161 ft² / 15 m².
- Sleep Soundlessly with Zero Light Pollution: Sleep and rest uninterrupted. The purifier runs at 32dB at its lowest noise level, and doesn't have any display lights to disturb the dark.
- Compact Size, Modern Style: A perfect fit in any home, whether in the bedroom, kitchen, or other medium-sized rooms. It's easy to tuck into a tight spot, yet also easily portable if you want to take fresh air with you wherever you go.
Levoit LV-H126 is a small air purifier that will make your life easier by providing you with an endless supply of fresh air every day. You can put it anywhere in your home, from a small nightstand, to your living room, or on your office desk. It has a lightweight design that makes it easy to move around and doesn’t take up much space. This ozone-free air purifier doesn’t use UV or ions that are harmful to purify your air.
It has a 3-stage filtration system where the pre-filter, true HEPA filter, and carbon filter all work together to ensure that that remove all large particles and other pollutants, even microorganisms. At the same time it neutralizes any household and pet odors, smoke, and fumes in the air. It has a 3 speed fan dial that you can adjust to suit your preference. This air purifier doesn’t have any display lights so it won’t disturb you while you sleep at night. You can sleep soundly with very little disturbance from the fan. Replace the filters every 6-8 months depending on the indoor air quality and other factors.
- Quickly eliminates pet odors and household smells
- Small and portable
- It produces gentle white noise
- Doesn’t consume a lot of power
- Doesn’t have smart features
A very effective air purifier that quickly eliminating airborne pollutants in your room. It uses a HEPA filter and a carbon filter to ensure that the air you breathe is clean and fresh. You can easily move it around your home to clean the air in different rooms.
AeraMax 100 Air Purifier for Mold, Odors, Dust, Smoke, Allergens and Germs with True HEPA Filter and 4-Stage Purification - 9320301
2 used from $ 75.75
- Air purifier features True HEPA filter with AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment and carbon filter for four-stage filtration process that captures 99.97% of airborne particles
- An odor eliminator that also captures mold, dust, germs and smoke-ideal for allergy and asthma sufferers
- Automatic air purifier performance with AeraSmart Sensor that monitors the air quality and automatically adjusts the fan speed to keep your air purified
- Certified asthma & allergy friendly by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Material Type: ABS
- Recommended for small sized rooms from 100 to 200 square feet
AeraMax 100 is a true HEPA filter air purifier that is asthma and allergy-friendly. The true HEPA filter has been treated with antimicrobials that safely remove all the large particles and airborne pollutants like pollen, dust, viruses, tobacco smoke, mold spores, and dust mites. The carbon filter then takes care of eliminating all the cooking smells, household and pet odors, and smoke in your home so that you can enjoy breathing in fresh, clean air. The AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment ensures that bacteria, mold, or fungi don’t grow on the dirt that has accumulated on the HEPA filter.
The plasma true technology produces an ion field that ensures the airborne contaminants are safely removed from the air with no chance of recirculating back into your room. It comes with smart sensors that automatically detect when there are contaminants present in the air and automatically changes the fan speed to purify your air. This air purifier is perfect for capturing airborne allergens that trigger your allergies during the cold or flu seasons.
- Gives you clean and fresh air
- Helps to significantly reduce airborne allergens
- Very sensitive to pollutants in the air
- Impressive filtration process
- It can be a bit loud
An impressive air purifier that uses antimicrobial treatment and AeraSafe technology to safely remove pollutants and makes sure that bacteria or fungi don’t grow on the filter and recirculate back into the air.
Germ Guardian True HEPA Filter Air Purifier for Home, Office, Bedrooms, Filters Allergies, Pollen, Smoke, Dust, Pet Dander, UV-C Sanitizer Eliminates Germs, Mold, Odors, Quiet 22 inch 3-in-1 AC4825
$84.99 in stock
4 used from $ 72.68
- 3 IN 1 AIR PURIFIER FOR HOME True HEPA air filter reduces up to 99.97percentage of harmful germs, dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as .3 microns from the air
- KILLS GERMS UV C light helps kill airborne viruses such as influenza, staph, rhinovirus, and works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce volatile organic compounds
- TRAPS ALLERGENS Pre filter traps dust, pet hair, and other large particles while extending the life of the HEPA filter
- REDUCES ODORS Activated charcoal filter helps to reduce unwanted odors from pets, smoke, cooking fumes, and more
- QUIET OPERATION The lowest setting can be used as gentle white noise at night for a quiet, restful sleep
Germ Guardian AC4825 is a HEPA filter air purifier that is perfect for people suffering from allergies. It improves indoor air quality by removing airborne allergens. It uses a HEPA filter to capture dust and allergens and even microspores in the air. The carbon filter helps to reduce some of the common odors in your home, like pet and cooking odors, smoke, and fumes.
To ensure that there are no airborne bacteria, fungi, or germs in the air, this air purifier uses UVC light to destroy them before they can multiply. It operates quietly, producing some gentle white noise at night. It comes with 3 fan speed settings you can choose from and optional UVC light settings.
- The UVC light can be switched off
- Helps to reduce your allergy and asthma symptoms
- It has quiet and strong fans
- Good filtration system
- Very expensive to replace the main HEPA filter
- Lacks smart features
An air purifier with an excellent air filtration system that uses UVC light to kill all the airborne bacteria, germs, and mold spores to deliver refreshing air to your home. Powerful fans operate quietly on the lowest speed settings to ensure you get a good night sleep.
Biota Bot #MM108 Desktop Air Purifier True HEPA Ionic Air Filtering System with 5 Stages of Air Purification, Air Cleaner-Activated Carbon Filter for Purifying Allergies, Dust, Smoke, Pet Odors, Mold
- ✔️True HEPA FILTRATION: effectively filters 99.97% of airborne allergens, dust, pollens and mold spores.
- ✔️CHARCOAL FILTER (ACTIVATED CARBON) effectively removes formaldehyde, Benzene, Xylene, Smoke Odors, Pet Odors and Cooking Odors.
- ✔️MEDICAL GRADE AIR PURIFIER: ionizer produces 10 million negative ion per second and is intended to remove harmful bacteria from the air without creating ozone.
- ✔️LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE: equipped with Smart Sensor Technology that automatically controls the 2 fan speeds depending on the quality of air and has a 2-4-8 hour timer designed for small to medium sized rooms.
- IMPORTANT: USE GENUINE BIOTA BOT REPLACEMENT FILTERS WHICH SHOULD BE REPLACED EVERY 6-12 MONTHS. REPLACEMENT FILTERS BB108 COME IN A PACK OF 2 AND ARE AVAILABLE.
This little air purifier is perfect for your desktop or nightstand. The space-efficient design is created to clean the air in a small room. It uses a pre-filter to remove large particles like pet dander, hair, and dust. The HEPA filter captures microparticles and airborne allergens. An activated carbon filter neutralizes odors from harmful chemicals, fumes, household odors, and smells.
This air purifier has an additional filter, an ionizer that produces negative ions which help to kill harmful bacteria without emitting ozone in the air. The combination of all these filters makes this lightweight and portable air purifier very powerful. It comes with smart sensors that automatically adjust the fan speed when it detects any shift in the indoor air quality. The hour timer allows you to set the time you want the air purifier to operate before it switches off.
- Keeps your room smelling fresh and dust-free
- A small and portable unit
- The ionizer works great in removing harmful bacteria in the air
- Produces a quiet white noise
- The replacement filters aren’t expensive
- The LED light is a bit bright at night
A portable and lightweight air purifier that uses an ionizer to kill harmful bacteria and germs in the air for clean, healthy air. You can place it anywhere around your home to purify the air and keep it refreshing.
Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier 3 Stage with Two Washable Pre-Filters, Particle, Carbon Filter, Captures Allergens, Odors, Smoke, Mold, Dust, Germs, Pets, Smokers, Small Room
$99.99 in stock
1 used from $ 94.99
- 3-PART FILTRATION system captures 99% of common airborne PM 2.5 pollutants such as allergens, odors, smoke , mold spores, dust mites and pet dander
- ACTIVATED CARBON filter removes common odors caused by smoke, pets, cooking, dorm room smells and gases (VOCs) as well as smoke caused by wildfires.
- WASHABLE pre-filter captures large particles such as dust and pet hair and can be changed to match any décor. Dark blue and grey pre-filters are included and other colors can be purchased separately
- QUIET OPERATION enabled by advanced filters that allow for a higher air flow at a lower noise level. Sound Level : 17 - 46 DB(A)
- Designed for small to medium rooms between 100 sq. ft. and 175 sq. ft. (AHAM rated at 161 sq. ft) make this purifier perfect for small bedrooms, offices, nurseries and dorm rooms. Air inlet - 360 degree
Blue Pure 411 is a simple and user-friendly air purifier that is designed for small rooms and bedrooms. It has a three stage filtration system that captures all common pollutants in your home for cleaner and fresher air. The colorful and washable fabric pre-filter removes all large particles like dust and pet hair, while the particle filter with carbon removes all household and pet odors, smoke, VOCs, and smells in your home.
This air purifier uses a unique HEPASilent technology instead of a true HEPA filter. It’s more advanced in removing contaminants, using less noise and less energy. All filters can be recycled and replaced after about six months of use. The fans purify more air even when on a low setting, giving you more clean air with less noise.
- Easy to use and clean
- Very quiet air purifier
- Improves the air quality in small rooms
- Helps to remove odors and fumes
- Doesn’t have a true HEPA filter
- The pre-filter isn’t very effective
An air purifier with a powerful fan that quickly cleans the air in your room without having to set it on high fan speed. It uses advanced technology to ensure that it removes more pollutants in less time which helps to conserve energy.
A portable and compact mini air purifier is the best air purifier for small rooms because it’s perfect for settings that have limited space. They’re convenient, budget-friendly, and effective. The Levoit LV-H132 air purifier is a small air purifier with easy-to-use features that ensures the air in your home is clean.